Looking for an easier way to mount a camera and catch some off-road footage? Maybe a phone dash mount is just the product for you! All you need to know is how to install it.By Neftali Medina – November 16, 2015
This article applies to the Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-present).
There are some things on a car you need and some things you want. A phone dock fits in between a want and a need, as you generally won’t see the need until its installed in your Jeep! Besides providing a chance to charge your phone while securely mounted on the dashboard, phone docks also offer additional features, such as extra protection when the Jeep is being driven off-road or a way to record any driving activities. Installing a dock is a fairly simple process and takes less than ten minutes to do at home.
- 1/4″ ratchet
- 7mm deep socket
- Phone mount
Step 1 – Remove the rubber tray
Look on top of the dashboard. You will see a rubber tray laying under the two center vents. Just pick it up with your hands and lift it out.
Figure 1. Remove the rubber tray.
Step 2 – Remove the 7mm bolt
Right under the mat there is a small 7mm bolt. Loosen and remove the bolt, then carefully place it aside.
Step 3 – Install the phone mount base
There are three steps involved in mounting the base:
- Take the hooks from the rear of the accessory mount and slide them into the vents behind the center console.
Figure 3. Hook the mount assembly into the vents.
- Remember the 7mm bolt you removed? Take it and install into the mounting hole in the front of the dash mount assembly.
- Then, take the rubber tray that came with the phone mount (it’s specially cut to fit around the mount) and lay it on top of the 7mm screw.
Step 4 – Assemble the phone mount
- Take the large plastic nut and place it upside down, over the ball mount.
- Slide the nut down to its threads.
Figure 6. Slide the plastic nut onto the ball mount.
- Take the phone mount and push it into the ball mount until you hear it click into place.
- Tighten the plastic nut.
Figure 7. Snap the phone carrier into place..
- Rugged Ridge Dash Multi-Mount Phone Kit Write-Up – Jk-forum.com