Don’t worry about your third brake light, it actually is not that hard to replace. Here is how you do it.By Neftali Medina – November 18, 2015
Contributors: WranglerForum, Chris Walden
This article applies to the Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-Present).
Brakes lights are used to alert drivers behind you of when you are stopping or slowing down. Some vehicles, such as your JK, have three lights: two tail lights and one mounted behind the wheel rack. Unlike other older Jeeps, there is no way to access the third brake light bulb. This means you have to replace the entire stalk the light sits on. Due to the costs some shops require before replacing these lights, some drivers tend to ignore the issue. Although it may not seem like an urgent problem, if any accidents occur during this time, the damages may be directed to the Jeep. The same rule applies for those of you that are required to smog your vehicle. Third brake lights are an absolute requirement, and the car will not pass the inspection unless all the lights are functioning. With that in mind, use these following instructions to quickly replace the third brake light on your Jeep JK Wrangler.
- Phillips screwdriver
- Replacement bulb
- T20 Torx driver
- 19mm socket
- 1/2″ ratchet
- Penetrating fluid (optional)
Step 1 – Remove the rear wheel
Take your 19mm socket and loosen each of the lug nuts holding your tire in place. Although newer vehicles should not have any issues with seized hardware, you can still spray some penetrating fluid onto each nut to make it easier for them to be remo
Figure 1. Remove the rear wheel.
Step 2 – Remove the old stock
As mentioned before, the main reason shops charge a lot to replace these lights is because the complete stalk assembly needs to be removed. This includes the light housing and the plastic stalk that connects to the wheel mount.
- Loosen the bottom T20 Torx screws that connects the stalk to the wheel mount.
- Loosen the top T20 Torx screws and push out the brake light assembly.
- Disconnect the wiring, then remove the assembly.
Step 3 – Mount the new light
Install the new brake light assembly onto the wheel mount.
- Connect the light wiring.
- Tighten the upper and lower T20 Torx screws.
- Check the light and ensure that the bulb is working.
- Then mount the wheel back in place.
Figure 4. Third rear brake light installed.
Related Discussions and Site
- My 3rd Brake Light Mod – JK-Forum.com
- Here’s a Simple, Cheap Way To Relocate Your Third Brake Light – JK-Forum.com
- 3rd Brake Light Out? Replacement? – WranglerForum.com