Don’t let key issues ruin your driving experience. There are solutions designed specifically for the 2007 to 2015 Jeep Wrangler.By Charlie Gaston – November 25, 2015
This article applies to the Jeep Wrangler (2007-Present).
The reality is it’s sometimes necessary to replace or repair the key to your 2007 to present Jeep Wrangler. Like most automotive repairs, you have two main options: you can either do the work yourself, or visit a certified mechanic or local Jeep dealer. We explain both approaches here, and how to go about doing each one. Your biggest consideration when deciding between your two options will be cost and time. Purchasing a pair of replacement keys through a local Jeep dealer could cost you as much as $90 to $270, depending on where you live and if you just need one replacement key or multiple replacement keys. Let’s get started!
Jeep Wrangler Key Issues
Blank keys (with a transponder) need to be cut and copied, which can be done at a local locksmith for around $2. (You can also visit a local hardware store; however, quality may vary.) Once your key is made, check it carefully to ensure it works properly. It is now ready to be programmed!
Figure 1. Need to replace your key?
To program your replacement key, you’ll need to do the following:
- Insert your original key (with transponder) into the ignition, and then turn it to the “ON” position.
- Don’t run your engine at this point.
- Check for lights on the dashboard.
- Within 5 to 15 seconds of turning your engine on, turn your engine to the “OFF” position.
- You now have 15 seconds to insert your second key (with transponder) into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position.
- Observe the Sentry Key Immobilizer System light flash, which is represented by a red dot over the temperature gauge.
- You have 45 seconds to turn the key to the “OFF” position.
- Insert your new key (with transponder) into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position.
- Wait for an indicator sound, which should go off within 10 seconds of turning the key. The indicator light should also flash for three seconds.
- Remove the key and programming is complete.
If a new or original key stops working, the most likely culprit is a faulty battery. The internal chip in your key fob could also be damaged or require further programming, which would need to be done through a local dealer using specialized equipment. As well, be sure the retaining clip is holding the battery in properly. If it’s damaged, you transponder won’t work and you will not have access to keyless entry until the problem is fixed. An issue with your wireless control module could also prove problematic. Try resetting it (e.g., disconnect and remove car battery, pull out the IOD fuse using the fuse puller, wait 30 seconds and then put everything back into place). If there is a short, however, you’ll n
Figure 3. Key fob damage is common.
Where can I find additional information about replacing or repairing my spare key(s)?
You’ll find important information about creating a spare key for your Jeep Wrangler in your owner’s manual. You should also speak with your local Jeep dealer, should you have further questions.
When is the best time to create a spare key?
The best time to create a spare key is when you have two functional keys from which to work. Otherwise, you will need to visit a local Jeep dealer.
How many keys can be programmed by the owner?
Only eight. You can purchase a blank key with a transponder (no alarm) for less than $20 online, including shipping and tax.